Food manufacturing lines need thorough metal separation control. This means ensuring that all aspects of separation are within specification. As discussed in our previous blog post, this includes both magnetic separation equipment and metal detectors being installed correctly in processing lines. Failure to control contamination could result from not having the right attention to detail when integrating these systems to your process.
There is one very important food safety factor that is often overlooked in the food processing industry regarding magnets… It is ensuring that proper and adequate product stream coverage is achieved when installing magnets. In other words, ‘a magnet with 20% coverage is leaving 80% of the product flow exposed to contamination risks’.
It is absolutely crucial to understand the importance of adequate product stream coverage in food processing. Even if a magnet is of adequate strength, if it is installed incorrectly and does not properly cover the product stream, it can leave the product unprotected and allow contaminants to escape downstream causing expensive losses.
This can have lasting issues on the brand and business. Recalls, financial loss, quarantined products, damage to reputation and brand, and many more problems can occur due to inadequate metal fragment control. For the integrity of your brand name, it is critical that you are able to gain an acceptable level of control of the contaminants that are most likely introduced by your processes.
For a peace of mind
It is widely accepted that there is limited knowledge around magnet capability without significant input from manufacturers or suppliers.
It can also be difficult to find accurate data for each type of product. Coverage can be greatly influenced by product density, particulate size, moisture, and speed.
The best way to find out if your magnets are correctly installed and have adequate product stream coverage is through the HACCP endorsed magnet validation program. Not only is this program and reporting closely aligned to the current magnet separation standards for food safety, but you will also receive valuable information about best industry practice through the use of current technology. The AMR magnet validation reports will also provide measurements detailing magnet strengths, their condition, status, as well as any strategic locations where additional protection may be required to close the gap between contaminants remaining in your finished product and having a safe, responsible control mechanism in place.
Learn more about the magnet validation process or make a booking.